Porta Maggiore

After my wonderful trip out to the Via Prenestina, I decided I needed to see the gate where the ancient road left Rome.  I had a map of Rome that located sections of aqueducts that still existed inside the Aurelian Wall, and I had read that the wall and the aqueducts were joined at the Porta Maggiore.



As I approached the gate, I could easily identify the two channels of the aqueduct on top of the gate as seen in the photograph below.



The intersection in and around the gate was insane.  The street cars passed through a section of the gate.  Larger train tracks passed to the east of the gate and at least 5 major roads intersected just outside the gate. 










Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to find the area directly under the gate cordoned off, protecting the remains of the Ancient Prenestina.




The photograph below is taken looking from the inside of the wall looking out towards the Prenestina.


This photo is taken looking back into the city.




As I wandered around the site, I came across piles of pavers.  In some cases trees had grown up around them.
 

In other areas the brush that had clearly had hidden the pavers had been cut back.







In the photograph below you can see the polished paver with a wear mark on the left.





Outside the archeological area two attempts had been made to demonstrate how the ancient road would have passed under the new road. The organization of the pavers was fairly clumsy and clearly not original.  


The following day Janet and I were checking out the Borghetto Flaminio flea market near the Piazza del Popolo and I came across the this photograph of the Porta Maggiore taken in1890.


Directions


View Porta Maggiore in a larger map